Friday, August 1, 2008

Sumthin in Mah Teef?

I know that this kind of thing has happened to everyone at least once in their lives, right? It happened to me on Monday at lunch with some old friends. The thing that gets my grill is that I'm one of those people that is SO careful about this kind of catastrophe. When I used to work and go out to lunch everyday with co-workers or even clients, my friend Melissa and I would always do a "TC" check on each other. She started it. It took me a while to figure out what "TC" stood for. FYI, it stands for "Teeth Check", not "Take Care", not "Traffic Control", not "Tom Cruise."

Well, Monday I went to lunch in Scottsdale with some old high school friends, Shannon and Jean. (Had a great time girls...loved seeing you!) Although I am a confident, mature adult now, and it has been 14 years since we graduated, I still found myself a little hyper for lunch. Perhaps I even reverted back to a few high school behaviors when I asked Willy what I should wear THE NIGHT BEFORE and put on 3 different outfits the day of. I even felt a little giddy before I left...kind of in a BFF mode, ya know? I hadn't seen these gals in a while, and who can blame me for wanting to look my best? These are our Senior pictures...we still look the same. Don't shake your head. Yes, we do look the same.

Alright. So we ordered salad as an appetizer. Ate it. It was goooooood! Then, we began eating our entrees. We are having the normal catch-up conversation, then we delve into some more serious topics. I offer up my story (which was a good one) when Jean interrupts me and says, "Wait! Before you go any further, you have a little something in your teeth! I think it's salad." Shannon nods her head, "Yeah, I was going to say something, but I wanted to just see if it would go away on its own."

What??? Not me! Salad was like 20 minutes ago!

Then, I started my interrogating. "WHY? Why me?" "How long have you known about this?" "Why didn't you say anything when it happened?" "Were you going to let me go through the whole lunch like this?" "What about the universal sign language of pretending to pick something out of your own teeth to let my subconscious know that I have something in mine?"

I then proceeded to suck water up through my straw, spraying my own teeth, if you will, just like the dentist onto the affected area. Didn't work. I then had to squeeze my straw together to scrape that bugger out. It was a stubborn piece of lettuce.

This whole thing got me thinking about awkward situations like this, so I'm posing a question. If you have something in your teeth, or a cliff hanger, or a zit that needs a poppin', or dried snot on the side of your cheek, or lip stick on your teeth, or your breast milk is leaking through your nursing pad, etc..., do you want the person you are with to tell you, or do you want them to pretend they don't see it and carry on? In addition, would YOU tell someone, or would you not want to embarrass them? What do y'all think?

13 comments:

JBPacker said...

You are such a cute person. I just love this post I have been showing it to everyone. Thanks for the laugh.

JBPacker said...

I forgot to put in my two cents. You should tell the person and they should tell you. It's not fun for anyone to have a big piece of meat or even lettuce stuck in their teeth. Exspecially when you have a pretty close relationship. I would want someone to tell me.

sheri rog said...

i say...bring on the embarrasing moments! the more there are, the more fun posts on people's blogs, there'll be!

so darn funny. i once had tp (that's toilet paper) sticking out the back of my pants when i put it on the toilet for a seat cover. i really wish a "friend" would've stepped up on that one.

but, then again, the little snickers behind your back can be a little encouraging. Ü

Emily said...

In high school we went skiing with my bro-in-law. He had a frozen booger which started at his nose and went half-way across his cheek. There it remained the entire day b/c nobody dared to tell him that it was there. We still tease him about it.

New Lewis Happenings said...

Tell and be told...absolutely!!
You crack me up!

DeAnne Baum said...

You make me laugh! Of course you need to be told. The pictures are great!

Oh, by the way we were up in Pinetop on the 4th.....I wish I would have known you were there so I could of seen you in the big parade. Looks like you had a great time with the family.

Heather said...

oh leslie I wish we were still neighbors and I we could go walking in the mornings again and I could hear your funny stories everyday!

Amy said...

Such great pictures - seeing them gave Grant a trip down memory lane I think. You are just the best and we miss you MUCHO!! xoxo

Rohan Shearer said...

Toilet paper hanging out, fly open, food in the teeth, pimple needing to be popped, pants slit open, items hanging out the nose, its all the same. Tell!

Sara said...

love the high school picture--you are a TOTAL babe!

Lara said...

I ALWAYS tell! (okay, unless I don't know the person!) I TOTALLY want to know!

Stevens said...

It's so fun to read everyone's responses. It's nice to know that people want to be told, I know I do too, but sometimes I'm too embarrassed to tell. I am now reformed!! Congrats on getting your kids back to school. We're on the 11 day count down!

Melissa Stadler said...

Oh YES!!!! TC is brilliant. It is so much easier than saying, "hey do I have something in my teeth?" Way too long. I just want to know how long they focused in on what you had in your teeth and wondered if they should tell you. Very distracting.

Oh..and you ALL look the exact same. :)