Tuesday, July 15, 2008

4th of July...Show Low Style

Fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays. We almost always spend the 4th up in the White Mountains of Show Low, AZ. We love spending time with family, especially when we leave behind 115 degree heat.Every year we watch the Show Low Parade, but this year we were in it. (I'm sure you'll find a way to deal with your jealousy.) Willy's late Grandpa Nikolaus was the first Mayor of Show Low and his family had the first grocery store--Nick's Market. Grandma Nikolaus wanted her family in the parade this year to honor Grandpa Nikolaus and Nick's Market as part of Show Low's heritage. Just seeing how happy she was made pushing a shopping cart 3 miles, in flip flops, with a temperamental toddler, worth it...just take a look at this cutie sitting in her chair with her umbrella, riding in the float.

We definitely had some high points. It was great to see my kids be the ones throwing the candy rather than receiving. They were making a conscience effort to look for kids that weren't getting the goods. And let's face it, when do you ever walk in a small town parade unless you're sporting the coveted title of Rodeo Queen? Like that's going to happen. We also had a few low points. This one is obvious.This one, not so obvious. Sorry everybody...we wish eggs were still that cheap. We spent the rest of the day eating and relaxing at a pond/picnic place and riding quads.
The rest of the aftermoon and evening were filled with sun, row boats, more food, fun, fireworks and Aunt Buffy's puppy chow. How do we top a day like that?

15 comments:

sheri rog said...

I love the video of Grandma Nik! (wind almost catching her umbrella...sooo funny!!)
These pictures are so great. And I love the post.

I love you guys so much!

♥Tami said...

That's very cool! My Grandpa was the first mayor of Eagar, AZ. We have spent many a 4th of July up there too. We love it! How fun for the kids!

P.S. I had fun Thursday too! Thanks for letting me crash! I love Girls night out! Let me know when the next one is!

Amy said...

Oh my goodness - you guys are adorable! And how much fun for your kids to be in the parade.
Love you tons!! Amy

Andrea said...

Ohh!! LOVE this post. So good. Love the little clip of Grandma! How sad to think of her not being around someday! :(

Rohan Shearer said...

What a great family picture! You and Will don't look a day older - but wow - your kids! They are beautiful and so much older!

JBPacker said...

Your posts always brighten my day, and yes I am holding back the jealousy. What a cute family!!!

Heather said...

so cute. You guys are famous!

sheri rog said...

what pretty new colors! i love the new "do" on the blog.

we've all got to get together sometime. it's been a while!

coca-cola angela said...

Looks like a fun 4th of July! We just got back into town from our trip to Utah/Idaho/Vegas, it was great! I'll have to update you on the house details. We didn't get the one in the Villages, but our offer was accepted on a house in Gilbert. We'll talk SOON.

Melissa Stadler said...

I love it! Why don't you just admit that you were crowned the Show Low Rodeo Queen this year and looked mighty fine in those tight little wranglers! Don't be shy Les.
I so wish that I could have been there to see your big debut in the parade. I love the pics. I love your kids. Oh and of course I just love you! :)
Oh and for the record...I love that you are a full-on blogger and you are so dang hillarious. I love your posts.

Sara said...

i am trying to check my jealousy at the door!

Lara said...

how fun! Looks like you guys partied in style, and OH MY GOODNESS, Tate is adorable! Can we betroth him and Gracie?

Emily said...

What a fun day for your family! Aunt Buffy's puppy chow sounds tasty.

The Crown Lacey Family said...

Oh my... I havent' check in on this blog(or any blog) for a few months (been too busy with a couple of little things).. but now I'm back to on-line purusing, and cannot believe how big these guys have gotten! I bet Carter's even too big now for me to wrestle hugs out of! We miss you guys... keep the posts coming!

Lyndsay said...

There's nothing better than celebrating the 4th of July small town style! Show Low is such a great little town and what great heritage for you up there. Your kids are so cute!