Thursday, July 10, 2008

Future Author Alert

What do you want to be when you grow up? Many kids respond with the classics...doctor, fireman, policeman, insurance agent, Wal-Mart greeter, etc....

Taylor has always had a wild imagination. When Taylor was 3, she wanted to be a "seashell hunter." That stemmed from going to the beach and collecting shells. When she was 4, she wanted to be an "artist-mommy." I think that stemmed from me sitting down with her to draw.

Ever since Kindergarten, she has told everyone that she is going to be an author some day. She loves to read and write--both activities of choice. She has about 18 notebooks and a few binders and folders that she fills with her stories. She proudly calls herself a nerd. This girl has got ambition and drive when it comes to this subject. I used to just smile and listen and of course praise her, but now I'm beginning to believe that this is not just a phase. I've never seen an 8 year old want something that much. I think she just may be an author some day.

During the last year, I have been asked countless times by Taylor as to how one gets a story published. I've given her a few simple explanations such as...
1. Find a publisher
2. Send in your manuscript
3. If they like it, they publish it. They pay you.

I figured that this explanation would be enough for an 8-year-old. One day when I was asked yet another question regarding who the youngest author ever to be published, I replied, "I don't know! Go GOOGLE it!"

She did. He's 8.

"Hmmm," she thinks, "I'm 8."

So of course, this gives her a great idea. She is not going to be an author someday but rather today. She then proceeded to GOOGLE publishers. She found a couple which she told me about. I gave her permission to request some information. She got some pamphlets in the mail and was so excited. However, when I read through her stuff, all the publishers required a hefty fee. She was a bit disappointed by that, but didn't give up. I told her we could type a story up, draw pictures ourselves, and go to Kinko's. Oh no. It has to be a real publisher. She shared one of her emails with me the other night, and I about wet myself. Below is an abridged email between a publishing sales agent and verbatim email by Taylor.

Dear Taylor Nikolaus,
Thank you for recently contacting Blah Blah Blah and requesting a publishing kit. My name is Ms. Blah Blah. (Then we have a sales pitch along with some other info.) Do you have a manuscript ready to publish? Please check out our website to download the necessary forms.
Sincerely,
Ms. Blah Blah

Dear Ms. Blah Blah,
Yes. I have one small book that I might publish. I would like a small list of some of the books you have published. Do you think you could do that? Thanks!
Sincerely,
Taylor Nikolaus
P.S. My mom wants me to tell you that I'm 8 years old.

Okay. What 8-year-old says things like that?!

Dear Taylor Nikolaus,
Thank you for taking the time to write back. What is the book you are working on about?
(More sales pitch) Since your mom asked you to let me know of your age, am I correct to assume that she has agreed to pay so your book can be published?
Sincerely,

Ms. Blah Blah
Sales & Marketing Department

So did I mention that this company requires $600-$12,000 to publish a book? Maybe I should sell my kidney Ms. Blah Blah. I don't know about you, but when I was 8, I was playing hop scotch, freeze tag and occasionally making my Barbie and Ken kiss...on the lips...with sound effects.

One thing is for sure, and that is that this little girl has determination. Hopefully she will remember the little people.

10 comments:

Andrea said...

That is..... SO CUTE! And yes, I was like you, playing barbies and I think I believed that my dolls were alive and would move around and talk and stuff until I entered the room. BUt NOT Taylor! She has more ambition now, than I have had in my whole lifetime! Heeheee.... that is so awesome! That's just got to make you SO proud!

Lyndsay said...

Wasn't it at age 8 that you me and Em created some magic cleaning potion and went door to door trying to sell it and good ole' Ramona said she'd buy some if we could get the grease off her driveway? And there we sat for who knows how long, scrubbing her stinkin' driveway with toothbrushes!!! She knew what she was doing, didn't she?
What a great little girl Taylor must be-

sheri rog said...

so cute. i love her imagination!
you are so talented, taylor!

we love, love, love you!!

Emily said...

Taylor has such ambition--and her stories are good. I was very impressed with the one about Grandpa Bunny (the story-telling rabbit) that she made up in St. George. What a talented girl!

JBPacker said...

What a cutie! You could always tell there was something special about little Taylor. It reminds me of the Kitt Kittredge show we went to see today. What cute little girls with such big aspirations. How fun!

Rohan Shearer said...

If Taylor is anything like her Mom or Dad, she'll have a book published in no time. We'll keep watch in the stores for her first novel - I'm sure she'll be the next Stephenie Meyer.

Amy said...

She is so cute! Who knows - maybe she will be the cash cow!! Good luck Taylor! (I'd buy her book!)

Papa Linus said...

My Taylor Ann is a marvel to behold. I could brag and say that my 'Tories mildly influenced her current goals but, seriously, how many 8 year olds would take that aspiration and translate it into a dialogue with Google Books? Is she exceptional?

Are you kidding me?

Is she My Special Angel? I love her to the Planet Google and back!

Papa Linus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

What a cute girl and such ambition for being only 8! I don't know if you've heard of the company Heritage Makers, but maybe that would satisfy her need to be published for a while, at least until you could sell those kidneys. I've done some books through them for my kids and they are good quality and pretty easy to do. Check them out at www.heritagemakers.com