Monday, June 23, 2008

I Smell Bacon

Cops. It's a love-hate thing. We love them as they uphold the law, make our communities safe, risk their lives, lock up bad guys, stand out in the hot sun directing traffic, and all of the millions of other things they do to serve us. However, we hate them when all of the sudden we become the bad guy. You know what I'm talking about. I'm sure we have a couple of speed demons who are reading this...a couple of lead-foot shebas who have been ticketed once or twice. And you know how they get us. They find a remote spot to pull their car offroad. Some may even cover their cars with greenery or artificial plants and twigs from Michaels. There they wait, lurking, slouched in their cop seats just waiting...waiting...waiting with their little laser beam gun...waiting to ZAP us as we drive by. Yes, you know what I'm talking about. Then it seems we forget about all the good they do.

Well, yesterday I really questioned myself as a mother. What am I teaching my kids to think about our fellow officers?

I was on my way to a baptism at our church. Willy was already there, and I was running a tad bit late with the kids. I ran out the door without my purse (and without my double lazy-eye license). In short, I was in a hurry and was driving fast. I was about 1/4 mile away from the church turn off when THERE I saw him. He was purched on the edge of the road like a little vulture waiting to pounce.

I instinctively slammed on the brakes, not so smooth either. I was still feeling pretty good about my reflexes going from 55 mph to 45 mph that quickly...until of course, I saw the 35 mph sign. I knew he got me. I saw his tires inch forward. Oooh, I had to think fast.

Back in the day, I've gotten out of a few tickets. One time the cop that pulled me over was in my single's ward and liked my friend. That was easy. Hey Occifer. I got something you want; you've got something I want. I'll arrange something with Emily, and you just put that little pad right back in your pocket. It's not so easy now...not as many resources with 3 kids in the backseat, ya know?

Lucky for me, Mr. Copper had to make a left turn to follow me. He couldn't do it right away because of traffic. So...I quickly pulled into the church and quick-as-the-speed-of-light zipped to the back of church where I would be hidden from the road. At that point, I yelled to my sweet, impressionable kids, "GET OUT OF THE CAR! HURRY! HURRY! RUN! GET INTO THE CHURCH! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIIIIIIVES!" Boy, was I panting! And boy, were my kids wide-eyed!

No ticket for me though. I'm not sure if he just gave up, realized that he was up against a professional, or went for a donut.

Still, it is kind of ironic. I was going to a baptism at church and running like a fugitive at the same time. I hope my kids aren't too damaged by my hypocrisy.

18 comments:

coca-cola angela said...

Great story telling Leslie! I was laughing all the way to the church parking lot! I'm so glad you didn't get a ticket.

By the way, I'm definately in agreement with you on the SHORT SALES, they are painful. We'll talk soon!

Leslie said...

Taylor talking!
Laughing out loud!

Daddy Man said...

Laughed my butt off! Thanks. First time I dropped in, and I think I will have to do it more often.

Miss you guys.

Emily said...

Hilarious from beginning to end! I know how pumped you must have been when you saw the occifer get stuck in traffic.

Heather said...

Leslie, you are going to be one of those people that get movie or book deals based on their writing on their blogs. SO FUNNY. Miss you!

♥Tami said...

Too Funny! Laughing out loud! My kids had to come in to see what I was laughing at! I have soo been there!

Lyndsay said...

Yours and Emily blogs are my most favorite blogs to read. I can just picture the "run, run" scene and the kids looking at mom wondering what is going on! And then to walk in the church all calm and cool and give an "I'll explain later" look to the kids. I can see it all and I Love It!

DeAnne Baum said...

Leslie! I finally found you. I am still laughing at your story. I love the twigs from Michaels part. You are such a great writer!

I hope we can keep in touch more now.....when is our next girls night?! I hope you don't mind that I added you. Keep in touch.

Rohan Shearer said...

That is way too funny! What if the office was LDS and that was his ward? That would have been a great story! I'm sure Willy could have argued your case and gotten you out of the ticket anyway. :)

JBPacker said...

I am totally able to picture this. I love the impressionable kid part. I am so glad I found your blog.

Andrea said...

You really are a great writer! I would love to read some of your school papers, because you know how you can't really help your personality coming out in your writing.... ??? Ya, I'm sure your papers were very entertaining!
Funny, funny!

sheri rog said...

i love the picture you created in my mind. so funny!

thank you for the book...livie loved her party! and of course, she loved seeing her cousins who make her laugh & give her kisses!

Papa Linus said...

HIGH-larious. Didn't know this - you've been holding back! All weekend and not a word about this? I'm proud of your expedience in the face of (the) danger (of fines and/or traffic school).

I'm sure you repented of this the next day (if not sooner), but I'm not sure repentance actually works if you do it while wearing a smarmy ha-ha-I-got-away-with-it smile on your pretty face! But who knows, maybe you got away with that too...

Lara said...

ha! You sure have a way with words...to tell it like it is...and I think you are one of the funniest people I know! this is a GREAT story!

Debbie said...

I wondered what that bead of sweat was on your forehead when you came dashing into the church...just kidding. I had to share w/ my hubby and I think I laughed louder the 2nd time around.
True, though, nothing like a perched cop to get your heart racing when you're going 12 miles over the speed limit...not that it's ever happened to me though. ;)

sheri rog said...

where are you???

Brian said...

I'm telling Bellows.

Stevens said...

Hi Leslie!!
I found your blog from Alechia's. I love this story! I've often contemplated if it's ok to speed to the temple. We got pulled over a few weeks ago, going to visit my dear old grandma. We lucky didn't have to hide from the cop, he let us off easy. But our dear little impressionable Jacob was full of questions!! Looks like you guys are doing great! Please keep me posted on Taylor's new books!
Jennie Stevens