I loaded up the 3 kids in the car with some toys and off we went to Disneyland, I mean the MVD. I warned them that it may take awhile and it may be boring. That's why we brought toys and snacks, and why they were promised a Golden Spoon yogurt when we were finished. I planned to go to a "less crowded" MVD (is that an oxymoron?), so I went to one that is in East Mesa that primarily serves the geriatric community. Why I thought that was going to be quicker--with all the little folk with walkers who act like they have all the time in the world because they've already lived a full 88 years of life--I don't know.
Anyway, they finally called my number. I stood in line to get my picture taken. Mind you, for those that don't live in Arizona...our licenses don't expire for about 30 years, so we don't have to renew until then. That could be cool if let's say you were me, 32 years old, and you wanted to be a hot lookin' 62 year old on your license 30 years from now. Or, it could stink if you had a bad hair day or the acne army attacked that week. Then you are stuck with that picture for 30 freaking years.
Well, it was my turn to take my picture. Here's how it went down:
Robot Lady: Step right over here and stand on the edge of the red line.
Me: Okay. (Then I proceed to look in the direction of the camera. Isn't that what you are supposed to do?)
Robot Lady: Uh, honey, I need you to look toward my hand. (She holds her hand out below and to the left of the camera.)
Me: (To myself: Hmmm...that's weird. Well, she knows more than I do about the MVD camera. Maybe it's off a little bit. I'll go ahead and look at her hand like she instructed.)
CLICK!
Robot Lady: It'll be ready in 3 minutes.
Hmmm? Anyone that sees my license in the next 30 years will wonder, "What on earth is she looking at?" or "Is that a case of double lazy eye?" Only you and I will know that I'M LOOKING AT THAT ROBOT LADY'S STINKIN' HAND! Why, oh why!
13 comments:
Oh my gosh--I try hard not to make fun of people anymore. You know, now that I am a mature adult and no longer in high school. But as soon as you said "lazy eye" I immediately started laughing and thought of Awkward Eyes April. And then Cross-Eyed Colby came to mind. Why? Why can't I mature just a little more now that I am well into adulthood? Grow up, Emily!
P.S. Your picture looks great!
I love reading your blog- you are so funny and then Em's comments- I just have to laugh out loud! It's been years since I've seen you but your still as cute as I remember! Still the same Leslie with the envious teal and peach bedroom. Oh how jealous I was back then! :)
I can't stop laughing...
my kids are looking at me weird!
You are such a geek.... I am so glad I came across your blog. The kids look darling. Tate has gotten so big. I have really missed you and your fun lovin attitude. I am going to add you to my list so I can keep in touch. Take Care Jessie
you really made my day! thanks so much for your comment on our blog...it came at the perfect time. (one of those low-self-esteem days) Ü
loved the thoughts on the MVD! so much fun to read!
love you guys! and thanks again!
Hilarious! I think we can all relate. The license printing machine was having a problems the day I got my AZ license so my entire license has a green shadow effect, plus anytime someone needs to see my lic they always think it's a fake. Gotta just love that MVD...NOT!!!
Leslie, can I say I miss you SO much! So funny. And just be happy that when you are 30 years older with wrinkles, you will still have a license that is that hot!
That is so funny! Jeni and I have been in Utah for almost 2 years and still have our Texas licenses too! We've not been as courageous as you were.
Oh yes the MVD; everyone's favorite place to have a picture taken! :D
Ha! Why would someone do that?
the above comment was from my daughter, Taylor. She's learnin' how to blog!!!!
What a dreadful experience! We call all relate with some of your thrilling hours in the sweat tank.
Oh, and you just reminded me that I have to run in....I mean, limp in....to get a replacement for my tattered Handicapped sticker I got when I was significantly more handicapped. Anyone think I'm milking this 'program' a little more than I should?
Well, envy will get your nowhere - unless you happen to be with me when I park at 'my spot' at Wal-Mart, about 650 feet closer to the mutant greeter at the store entrance than we would have parked if we had driven YOUR car.
Post a Comment