Here's her daughter Paige and Taylor in front of it. Can you say, "Norman Bates?" Oh, we got a kick out of it. But this is the best part...
Every runner knows that it is very important to get a good night's sleep the day before a race. This is a clip from the door of our room at the beautiful and peaceful view of the infamous Route 66.
Here are some other highlights:
1. We woke up at 5:45 a.m. to get to the race that started at 7:00 a.m. Oops...just kidding. The race started at 7:30 a.m. One hour to kill. They weren't even all the way set up!
2. We needed to use the port-a-potty before the race. We stood in line. I totally opened one up THAT WAS GREEN AND UNLOCKED only to find a grandma squatting yelling, "HEY!!!" Do people think those port-a-potties lock themselves? The only thing that made me feel better was that she cut in line. I know...a grandma cutting?....c'mon.
3. The race was on a trail up a mountain. We climbed 1000 feet in the squishy mud with rocks everywhere. The elevation definitely got to us too, and we had to slow down a bit. I had to check my competitive side at the door and just enjoy the ride. Christine makes it easier to do that.
4. At mile 4, an old high school friend was volunteering. When we saw him, we realized that we were lagging behind a bit. In an attempt to make excuses for ourselves, I pointed to Christine and said, "SHE JUST HAD A BABY!" And she yelled, "SHE IS BACK HERE BECAUSE OF ME!" Why must we feel we have to make excuses? Two words....HIGH SCHOOL.
5. An hour later than expected, we crossed that Finish Line. One of the best things for me is seeing my family cheering and welcoming me, although they had been waiting there awhile!Christine and I had a great time though with no pressure, beautiful scenery, and great conversation.
6. Now this is where I am bewildered. Out of 135 people (in all age groups, mind you) Christine and I ended up 133 and 134! WHAT!? Oh, it gets better. Willy said that a couple of old ladies (65+ years) came in before us...and they were walking! Oh, it gets better. Christine's husband, Brian, said that he saw a handicapped person cross...(here comes the climax) AND A DWARF! I didn't even see a dang dwarf. Those little legs must have been cruising! I've run many races...I can't say I've EVER been beaten by a dwarf. That's just wrong...it's WRONG!
So, yes, my competitive side along with some pride has been tarnished. However, on the bright side, it was a great way to run a race...with a wonderful friend, beautiful scenery and a dwarf.
25 comments:
I have tears rolling down my face from laughing so hard!! You crack me up!!!
Haha... that ending was great, I let out a couple of snorts! 65 year olds and a dwarf?? What??? They had to have took an alternative route! That was awesome! I think I would've slept outside rather than in that hotel! I seriously get the hebe jeebies in most hotels. I think that one qualified as a MO-tel though! :)
Hey! I was checking out Jen Jarvis' blog and saw your's and I had to check it out. I love your hotel room picture....I think I might of slept in my car instead of sleeping there. One of these days I will have to join you in a marathon. I can't wait to start running again!
I have tears streaming down my face too. THat is just too hilarious - are you sure you ran the route or were you off in the forest somewhere? I am sure that is the reason - you just took the long way. Nasty nasty hotel. Congrats on being able to run though - I think I made it a mile once. xoxo-Amy
I am laughing so hard that I may pee my pants a little. You are just so honest. Come on you have to know that Flagstaff is a total hole. I haven't laughed that hard in a while. Some runs are good and some runs are not so good. It can be really hard to have an audience. Dwarf or no Dwarf I still think you are awesome.
so dang funny! that grandma sittin' on the pot wasn't the one that beat you was she? and that train was a riot, although i have to say that hotel looked better than the hotel (crackhouse) kelly & i had to stay in after we got married. thanks for the great laugh. i so very much needed it!
p.s. i think they want to be called "little people" now don't they? or is that just midgets? (it's hard to keep up with all the pc terms these days)
Ü
i am soooo going to h***, aren't i?
Hi, I'm Jessie's sis in law and love to run too. She sent me over here and I'm glad she did! That was too funny! I thought being passed by a stroller being pushed by a pregnant lady was bad, but this might be worse! Loved your race report!
yep. me, too! I laughed 'til I cried.
Ok that train going by ALL night! What a nightmare. Even if you came in last it's still better than all of us who didn't run it. So congrats for that sista!
Sooo Funny!!! I would have been #200 out of 135. Congrats on even finishing it. Events you'll never forget, that's what makes it so fun!
I just want to brag that I bet it was running with me that got you so motiviated to run in 4 half-marathons (holy cow girl!) :)
Who cars that a little person and some retirees came in a head of you... I bet you were having a much better time and much better conversation :)
Leslie - you have a great blog! I love your stories. They are so true to life and I could just imagine this happening to me. Don't worry, someday you'll be that old lady passing the young whipper-snappers (and just possibly the dwarfs!) Maybe when you get there that early next time, you should just go ahead and start running, you know get a head start...
Me, you, and Em need to plan a race together sometime- maybe in Vegas or St. George? Those 2 hours would fly by with all of our reminiscing!
I love it! I couldn't stop laughing! What a great stroy...a dwarf..I can't believe it!
This is the best think I have read all week, possibly all year? That's a real compliment considering I am 117 pages into Breaking Dawn! I love your FABULOUS sense of humor...and yes I am with you on the selected name of the roller coaster. Somebody know what they were doing in that one.
One of the top 10 funniest stories to come out of your mouth ever! You know that you should be a writer. I love reading your blog my friend!
You are superstar runner Les even when you get lapped by a dwarf. You are the best!
They like to be called "little people". You crack me up!!
oh so funny! Hey at least you guys did it, and that's more than I could say for myself! {unless they come up with some stationary race with ellipticals...I could totally come in like number 125 or something!}
Great job finishing the race, and hey some of us wouldn't even bother signing up!
Besides, it's good to set goals, now you can try next time to beat the "little person."
I'm soooo glad I found your blog...I lost your address. Love your blog you always seem to crack me up!
So who came in last? The grandma you interrupted on the toilet? Maybe it took her longer than expected as well and she was late to the start? Great story!
I love reading your stories! You have my vote for being a number 1 writer and story teller! I seriously can't stop laughing. Oh, how I feel like I could see all of this taking place! The details are great. Thanks for the laugh.
Okay, I've finally read your post of the dwarf! I am laughing my head off! I wonder what your husbands were thinking when you didn't show and there were grandmas and dwarfs crossing the finish line before any sign of their wives! Prime of your life and proportionate legs! What?
Post a Comment