Yesterday we lost our sweet baby. He was born at 19 1/2 weeks on August 6th. We have been calling him Crew, and we will continue to do so. He is our Crew, and he was precious.
We came home from the hospital last night. Sleep felt so good. When I woke up early this morning, panic set in and the pain from the previous day picked up right where it left off from the night before. I so wanted to go back to sleep but couldn't.
I could write all of this in my own journal because it is so personal, but I don't care. This is about our family, and it is real, and I honor Crew Nikolaus with this post. I am doing this for a much needed outlet for myself and for my family.
The last 2 days have reached pain beyond my imagination. I have always believed that the Lord does not give us anything more than we can bare. Although I still know that deep down, I have questioned it many times in the last 24 hours. Right now this feels like so much more than I can bare.
Having said that, I am aware of the outpouring of love that surrounds me as well as my family. Family and friends have been answers to my heart's silent prayers in the last 2 days. In this grief, I have felt my Father in Heaven's love for me and know that He is real. I was sitting in the hospital bed yesterday crying and searching for things in my head that I knew and that made sense to me. I am going to record those things that spoke to my heart because I don't want to forget them, and I know I may as time passes.
1. Love is a husband who spends 28 hours by his wife's side in a hospital room, who is able to give her a blessing of healing and comfort, whose touch on her leg speaks words of love and assurance....and through his own grief, he finds the strength to be what she needs.
2. Willy and I have been privileged to have 3 beautiful miracles walking on this earth. Sweet Taylor, Carter and Tate. What blessings they are in our lives. There is a new fight/resolve in my heart to be a better mom, to love them more, and to make sure they know what I know about the Plan of Salvation and who Jesus Christ really is. I know that there will be a day when we are joined by our little Crew, and my heart can't wait.
3. Families pull together during times like these. My sweet sister, Jenny, stayed with the kids Wednesday and Thursday and loved them like no other. I have felt tremendous love from my parents, Bryan & Rachel, Jeff, and all of my in-laws. I have felt their prayers, and I love each of them.
4. Heavenly Father sends strength and love to those in need through His angels on earth. A week ago at my ultrasound when we found out something could be wrong, they scheduled me to see a specialist. The soonest they could get me in anywhere was 2 weeks...it seemed like a lifetime to wait and worry. However, I was able to have an ultrasound on Wednesday the 5th by my dear friend, Jenn. It was with Jenn that we discovered that the potential bad news learned the previous week had turned into horrifying news...Crew had no heartbeat. His chord had become twisted and kinked, and he was not getting food. I CANNOT even imagine sharing that horrendous moment with a stranger. How blessed I feel that I could cry with a friend whom I love. Again, there is no doubt that it was my Heavenly Father's hand. He did not allow me to go through that with a stranger.
5. I came home from that awful afternoon and pulled into the garage. Not even 2 minutes later there was a knock on my door from our Bishop. He listened and gave words of comfort that I know came from above...and looking back, were crucial to that exact moment.
6. Dear, dear friends are invaluable. I've had visits, dinners, emails, babysitting offers, phone calls and countless texts from loved ones that have lifted me if but for a moment. There are no words to describe the gratitude I feel for that as well as the comfort in knowing help is out there.
7. At the hospital, I was in the absolute best care possible....Dr. Huish, my two incredible nurses, Toni and Rakay, my amazing anesthesiologist, Barbara, were unbelievably incredible and understanding and heaven-sent.
8. Lastly, and this is the hardest...this was by far my most difficult pregnancy. I was sick like I've never been, even up until the night before delivery. And, this has been by far the most painful and difficult experience I have faced in my whole life. What I do know though is that I would do it all again for the opportunity to help give Crew's heavenly spirit a body. I LOVE him. We love him.
I didn't know how I was going to cope and make it through the last 24 hours, but it happened. I really don't know how I am going to make it through today, tomorrow or next week either, but I know that somehow it will happen. I know that I am not alone, and that I'm being watched over. And that, is the most priceless knowledge.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
29 comments:
Oh Leslie- I love you and your family so much! My heart hurts for you! Please let me know if there is anything that I can do. You are in my thoughts in prayers and I love you!
We all love you and your family. Know that you are in our prayers. I hope you will find continued peace through the knowledge of the gospel.
Oh sweet Leslie, you are amazing! And I agree that Heavenly Father won't give you anything you can't handle! It might be the hardest thing in the whole world and you might want to kick and scream the whole time but there are angels around you that help you! I absolutely loved this tribute! I love you and know that Families are forever and you are an amazing mom and will be reunited with sweet Crew!! Love Jen
I love this! You are so good at putting your feelings into words! I couldn't agree more with everything you said! I love you and your family!
You need to read the words to "Where can I turn for peace" in the hymn book. Especially the 3rd verse. I remember really loving the words!
Leslie~You are one of the most incredibly stong and faithful woman I know...definitely an example to me. Thank you for sharing your feelings this way. What a beautiful tribute to Crew. My heart hurts for you and your family, but I know, as you do, that Heavenly Father is there and will help you through this, along with all of us who love you. With love, Tina
Leslie, I just want to give you a hug! I'm so sorry for what you have been through the last week. Thank you for sharing your strength and insights with us when you are hurting the most. May the Lord continue to bless you and your family in this difficult time. We love you!
Sweet Leslie, every word you wrote plays to my heart strings. I remember hearing the bad news, feeling the frustration of carrying the baby for what seemed like an eternity (it was my worst pregnancy also, I was so sick) I remember crying every night and not understanding why this happened and whether this little baby would be mine. You have a much better understanding then I did. As time passes you will grow more than you ever thought you could. Your understanding of the Atonement will expand and your love for Heavenly Father will grow even deeper. The outpouring of kindness from your family and friends will stay with you for all your life. This horrifying experience will become a pivotal moment in your time on Earth. Heavenly Father and I grew very close during the lose of my little Zachary. I have learned to put my trust in Him and He will never forsake me. I know He will never forsake you either. We will be reimbursed for our loss and some. We have that to look forward to. I am so sorry... Love Jessie
I wrote a talk about the Atonement if you want to read it go to http://jessytalk.blogspot.com/
You have to scroll down to "The Atonement"
No one has ever accused me of being a person of few words, and this is no exception. For my comment, go to:
http://papa-linus-lives.blogspot.com/
and read "Crew Nikolaus".
Leslie thanks so much for sharing. Life can be so hard. We love you and your family so much and we are so sorry for your loss. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
You are an amazing person! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet family. Sometimes we go thru trials that we can't seem to understand or imagine but know that your Heavenly Father loves you and that he will be there for you thru the darkest and hardest times of your life. Pray often and know that you are loved!
Very well said. Thanks for sharing.
We love you guys.
Les, my heart has been breaking for you since Thursday. You are so much stronger than you know. I love you and your precious family so much, and I love Crew too!! I'm here and would be honored to help in any way. Hang in there, your heart will heal in time. LOVE YA!!!!
Oh Leslie, This hits hard at the whole way through. I am so sorry this happened to you and your family. What an elegant writer you are to be able to put into sweet words how you are feeling. you are in my prayers....
Leslie - I am so sorry you and your family are having to go through this. Health related challenges are so difficult and remind us how fragile life really is. I don't know if you knew this but Jeni and I lost a little one almost halfway through the pregnancy in between Maddy and Joey. What made it worse was that it took place on Mothers Day of all days. As hard as it was, we felt the same peace during the trial as you've described, proof beyond any doubt that God lives, is real, loves us unconditionally and allows these experiences to help us to grow and most importantly, reach out to others to comfort and bless, just like you are doing. I think sometimes its in our greatest need of help ourselves that we're called upon to bless the lives of others, symbolic of the Atonement in a way that only an experience like what you've been through can help you appreciate. Jeni and I love you and your amazing family and are thinking of and praying for you.
Ro
beautiful...
i love you, leslie.
Leslie,
What a gorgeous family you have! I am so sorry for your loss. His name is adorable. I have prayed and thought of your family so many times these last few days. Your words were so beautiful and encouraging for all mother's. You sound so strengthened and yet I'm sure you have weak moments too. Heavenly Father love you so much. I am always in awe and how you always see that in all things. You will be with Crew someday and that is so wonderful to know and reassuring. I wish I could hug you right now. I have just cried through your blog, and I am so thankful for your family that helped and friends that were there in place of the fabs physically. I love you Les!
Les,
Our hearts and prayers go out to you and yours at this time. We love you so much Leslie, and we love your family. What a beautiful tribute to your sweet little son, Crew, and what a cathartic thing it must be for you to share, so publically, your struggle and loss.
A dear friend of mine also lost her child this week and I forwarded her your dad's blog from my email. She was so moved, touched by the love and support you have. I know she will feel a sense of commisuration and understanding when she reads your profound words of wisdom and strength. You have helped otehrs in sharing this, and I want you to know how much love we hold here for you.
I love you Les.
Aunt Julie Babes
HUGS, HUGS, HUGS and more HUGS!!! My heart aches for you and your family! I'm hoping you have pictures of your sweet baby Crew. Thank you for your incredible words of hope and courage! I love you and will be praying for you and your family.
I'm so sorry Leslie! This is terrible news, but from your words in your blog it sounds like you are handling it the best I can imagine. Thanks so much for sharing this personal story! You are LOVED by many! Miss you girl.
oh leslie, prayers are coming your way from our family here in ohio. i can't even imagine your pain, but i know our savior does. you are an amazing person, and you'll get to see that sweet Crew again. hugs to you...
Love you Leslie. Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us, and touching my life as well. I'm lucky to have you as one of my best friends in the world. What an example of strength you are. Love you.
How hard this life is, but how sweet the knowledge that comes from our trials.
We love you Leslie & Willy. You are in our thoughts and prayers. You two are amazing.
Oh my Leslie...I love you. I wish so badly that I could take away the pain and anguish you feel right now. I am so sorry that you feel a pain that hurts your heart like no other.
I know that you sacrificed so much for sweet little Crew. Heavenly Father recognizes and understands such a sacrifice. Someday when you get to see your sweet baby, you will know that you sacrificed for him.
Oh man...sometimes we may never understand WHY we have to go through such a painful, heartbreaking trials but the clarity will come. It may not even be in this life.
I have learned many things from grief. This is coming from me - who experienced it 9 years ago - but I do know this for sure. Heavenly Father will never leave you alone. He lives and he loves you, Willy, Tay, Carter, Tate, and Crew. You will be together again...even though it is painful to wait and may seem unfair.
I am so touched by your words and am so glad that you wrote them down and shared them will all of us. There are so many who love you and want to take care of you and your precious family. I hope that you find the strength from all of us who are praying for you and who love you.
I love you my friend.
Dearest Leslie and Willie,
First, I want to extend my deepest sympathy for the loss of your wee one! Your tender, beautifully-written letter so touched my heart! Your faith and your courage are an inspiration to me. I know that our Father in Heaven will get you through this. What would we do without the Gospel of Jesus Christ that lets us know that we'll be together with our loved ones again and forever! I know we will, and that knowledge keeps me going every day! May the Lord comfort and keep you, dear Leslie and Willie!
My deepest love, Aunt Lucille
Thanks for sharing your testimony. It strengthened me and I am grateful to you for that. I should never complain again for the little things that take place in this life.
Hi Leslie, I stumbled upon your blog. Oh how my heart aches for you. Rich and I went through a similar experience only my ultrasound was at 17.5 weeks. It was a little boy as well.
Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers and I wish you all the comfort you need and more as you grieve for your sweet Crew.
Much love, Katie Murset
My sweet Lester,
I cried when I received your email about Crew and I cried again reading this today. You are such a strong person, as it shows through this beautiful post. I love you and my prayers go out to you and your family.
Love--Em
P.S. I left a message on an answering machine for you--I really hope it was your's. :)
Oh Leslie. I am so sorry to hear about your sweet little baby. You are such an amazing girl to show such strength and to be able to recognize all the blessings that come through these trials in our lives. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know it's been a month now, but I'm sure the mourning continues. My prayers are with you and your family. Hope you continue to find that peace and love you talked about! Hang in there!
Grandma had told me the news some time ago. I will never be able to completely convey how I felt for you on that day and the days to follow. How can I possibly express my pain for you when I knew I can't even imagine how great yours must have been. I very much enjoyed watching Tate toss his pennies into the fountain. And watching your Motherly gaze as you patiently enjoyed the youthful happiness being expressed from Tate. On that night I read this post and was finally able to come to an understanding of your experience. I cried in my pillow that night as I tried to sleep. Sleep would not come to me that night as I wrestled the emotions I was feeling. Twice more I have had these emotional moments when I have laid to sleep. I think they surface when I relax. I know I can never truly know how you felt other than what you have shared. I too still believe we live again and find comfort in these thoughts.Leslie you are bearing the heaviest of all weights a mother can bear. For this you will become stronger, your love will be felt in more ways than one can describe and whomever happens upon you will feel this love. My heart will always share a small bit of this tragedy but thankfully the light from you will shine forth. You are truly a very special Mother and have the most wonderful family. My blessing to you and your family. Johnny
Post a Comment