Friday, July 16, 2010

Master Tate...It's About Time

Oh, the last child...I've been slacking on his milestone pictures. I think I completely missed Age 4, but here he is at 5 1/2 years...right before Kindergarten. I had to have a milestone picture of what he was before he ventured off into the big world.


Goodness, why did I just go there? I feel a therapeutic post coming on!!!!

Tate is so excited to go in August, and he is so ready. But when I think about it, I literally can feel my chest tighten, my eyebrows frown, the eyes get a little misty, and I get sick in my stomache. Can it really be time? I really wish it wasn't.

Many wise and experienced mothers of all ages have gently reminded me over the years that the time with your little ones is so short. "Cherish these days," they would say. "It will be over before you know it." I would nod my head in agreement but didn't fully understand why those mothers had that look of longing in their eyes. Why would they want to go back to poopy diapers, sippy cups, no sleep and tantrums? I did enjoy those times but was always looking ahead. And they were right...it went by too quickly.

I get it now people! I understand now what you were telling me!

This last year (especially with the loss of Crew) I have tried so much to live in the moment...to enjoy Taylor, Carter & Tate to the fullest. Wouldn't it be snazzy if life had a pause button? I'd be pausing away right now. I have loved spending time with my kids this summer. I really can't get enough of them. What an honor it has been for me to be the mother of these beautiful children. I look back on those years with tears of gratitude and pure joy.

So I got a bit off-track...I just went with it, ya know?

Here's my baby Tate who is growing up into a handsome, lil' Kindergartner. Good-bye baby. I won't forget.

11 comments:

New Lewis Happenings said...

Look at your big man! He's such a cutie...Taylor and Carter, too!!! The photos turned out great! (I had no idea about JCP???)
Just remember that I'm here when you need a shoulder to cry on on the first day of school...it's hard, but I know you'll be fine! (Especially if we go to breakfast or lunch that day!!!)
Oh, and have fun in San Diego!!! I love that place!

Emily said...

Did you know that his smile and Tyson's smile remind me so much of each other? Tate is an absolute doll!! You better lock that boy up when he's a teen.

And I'm glad I moved to England too. Because when I open my blog each day and see I have a comment from you, it makes my day.

I thought I didn't like blogging either, until I started doing it again. Great way to write each day--and you know how I feel about journaling. Remember when I made you pull all of your journals out of trash can when we were kids?

Have fun in Cali! I'll want to read about it on your blog ;)

Turley Family said...

i get misty eyed when i think about tate going off to kindergarten too! madelynns and my world is going to change with tate in school all day long!

we get him on half days!

Andrea said...

I'm crying. Thanks. I needed that. ;)

Sara said...

i hear ya, sista. i get misty eyed EVERY year and my baby is 7.

p.s.love the belly dancing float. how do i get into that gig?

judy nik said...

This will have to suffice for all your efforts since I just barely got back to my computer at school..
LOVED all the pics and words.. thanks so much from a Grandma. I know how you are grieving over Tate but this too shall pass.. He will join his siblings in being the cutest and best and smartest and you will rejoice! Every new accomplishment validates motherhood.. the greatest calling in the world. Sure missed being in Show Low for the 4th, especially the belly dancers..I could do that--my belly dances with every step I take...oh, that's not what they do?
Really appreciated you guys stopping by to see me in Payson on your way home and glad you got to go to SD. I love that place, too. Be good ... Hugs and kisses to all, Grandma Jude

Shane Meredith Mason and Kendall said...

i TOATLY agree and couldnt of written that post any better. I SO do not want mason to go to school all day!!! its toooo long. But, as I write this and he is teasing Kendall and she is screaming..maybe its ok?

Stevens said...

Love this cute, nostalgic post. I'm getting the same way. luckily i have one more year until Micah's in Kindergarten, but at times it is painful to look back on those little ones isn't it? looks like you're having a great summer!

sheri rog said...

i love that little guy and i love you, leslie. you're a wonderful woman. and thanks for the reminder on time passing quick.

Down in the Sun said...

Love the post! How did first day go?

Anonymous said...

Love the post Les...I'm a little behind on reading my friends blogs, but I love to catch up. Actually thanks for the reminder. I too often feel the EXACT same way as you, but now I have just one little guy left with me. He starts pre-school, but I plan to at least try to enjoy this time to the fullest, I don't want to regret too much. Still pulling for Tate & Abby...he'll figure out they're not cousins eventually.
Love ya!