Friday, September 3, 2010

Don't Listen to Me, Tate!

Last night Tate went to his first soccer practice.  Taylor & I watched and Willy was at a different park with Carter's team.  When it was time to go, I had my arms full with chairs, the ball, purse, etc...  I told Tate it was time to go as he was playing with his friends on the playground.  He didn't want to come and gave me a hard time.  I asked him 3 times and finally with my arms full, I yelled....

"Well, if you don't come now, I guess you will have to walk home!"

Taylor & I proceeded to put our things in the car.  I marched right back to that playground ready to yank him by his whispies when he was no where to be found.  We searched everywhere and asked other adults if they'd seen where he went.  Finally, one of his friends said, "I think he went that way" and pointed onto the sidewalk along side the road.

I wasn't freaking out yet.  Taylor & I ran down the sidewalk yelling his name and couldn't find him.  I hopped in my car and drove and couldn't find him!  I second-guessed myself and went back to the park and got on foot.  Taylor was crying.  I dialed 9-1-1 and then I was freaking out. 

I was talking to the operator as I'm running down the sidewalk yelling Tate's name.  Poor lil' Taylor was runnning beside me screaming his name too.  I REALLY started freaking out when I had to start describing Tate to the operator.  I was bombarded with questions...How tall is he?  How much does he weigh?  What was he wearing?  Color of hair?

I started crying along with Taylor.  I yelled back to Taylor to say a prayer and then told the operator I needed to get ahold of my husband.  The operator wanted to keep me on the phone, so he dialed Willy for me.  Just as he was doing that I got another call.  It was my neighbor who lives 3 houses down from me telling me HE HAD TATE!

I can't describe the relief!  Taylor said that just when she said, "Amen" I turned around and told her we'd found him.  I jumped in my car and headed home to find a completely drenched with sweat little boy who thought I left him when he didn't see me.  He sprinted all .7 miles home in his soccer cleats and shin guards, and when I wasn't there, he went to a neighbors house and told them, "I got lost."

I've never hugged that boy so hard.  He was so brave but just started crying when we hugged.  What a night!  I had to explain to Tate that I would NEVER leave him.  It made me think twice about the things that I say to my kids...who knew he would really walk home?!?

Here's a funny from this morning.  I walked into Tate's room where he was zipping and buttoning his jean shorts which is big news in our house.

ME:  Wow Tate!  When did you learn how to button and zip those pants?
TATE:  Well, the bad news is that I got lost last night.  The good news is that I can button and zip my own pants!

I will add that the good news is that the boy knows his way home!

5 comments:

Down in the Sun said...

Oh, cute little Tate! I can only imagine the panic that set in. I am so glad that he was okay. I can not believe that he ran all the way home. And what he said the next morning is so so sweet and sad all at the same time!

Emily said...

My heart was racing just reading that story. Worst moment of my entire life was when Carter got lost at the St. George Marathon. It is the worst! So glad you found him--and so glad to read a few words from you today! :)

Stevens said...

Panic attack! I'm so glad things worked out the way they did. Phil always says things to the boys like that...I'm going to send him to read your blog!! Hope all is well with school starting!

sheri rog said...

my heart is SO racing at this moment! AHHH!!

and i always love his quirky comments!

Denise said...

Oh my heck that is sooooooo scarey! I'm glad that he was okay. I love his comments the next morning. What a doll!